Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service is around the corner! MLK Day is an official day of service dedicated to civil rights leader, Martin Luther King Jr. This day commemorates his legacy of social justice and equity, one we strive to embody while we foster connections between people and conserved lands. His important call to action comes alive each time we team up in stewarding healthy ecosystems. In honor of his legacy, we hope you’ll join us on for our trail improvement work party in west Olympia, even just for an hour.
Capitol Land Trust is thrilled to invite you to MLK Day of service at Randall Preserve! Randall is a small public-access preserve with a walking trail next to Eld Inlet on Mud Bay Road. It is a great place to see eagles, shorebirds, and watch the tide over the mudflats. We have even had some recent beaver activity on the preserve. Capitol Land Trust staff and community members will be there on the 17th to answer your questions and guide you through our goals for the day.
Our main goal will be to sheet mulch the 560-foot long trail and the viewpoints with cardboard and wood chips. We want the path to be clear, inviting, and weed-free! After that is done (if it gets done) we will be slowing the pace and removing some non-native plants from the property, such as blackberry, ivy, and Prunus sp. Tools will be provided, and snacks and hot tea will be available. Please join us for the morning or afternoon shift, or as long or little as you are able! Between shifts we will have a lunch break.
This event is now full. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for waitlist or information.
Monday, January 17
9:30 am – 12:00 pm, and 12:30 pm – 3:00 pm
Randall Preserve, Olympia
Volunteers must fill out an annual Volunteer Waiver before volunteering with CLT. Minors must be accompanied by an adult or have both pages of the Minor Waiver Release Form filled out ahead of time. You may print and fill out your waiver ahead of time and bring to the event or send us a photo of your completed waiver. We will also have extra waivers at the event. Waivers and questions can be emailed to email@example.com.
- If you are sick in any way or have come in contact with someone who has been sick in the last two weeks, please stay home.
- Wear a face covering over your nose and mouth, except during breaks when you are at least 6 feet away from others. If you are unable to wear masks, we ask that you contact us directly for specific accommodations.
- Maintain a distance of at least 6 feet from people outside your household.
- Please bring your own food and water. Food and drink may not be provided by CLT.
- You are encouraged to bring your own gloves.
- Please bring your own tools if you are able. Tool suggestions will be included in email communications once you are registered for an event.
- If you decide to carpool, please do so safely.
- CLT will plan work areas to maintain a safe social distance of 6 ft or more between participants.
- CLT will provide necessary tools and materials for the work being performed.
- CLT will provide hand sanitizer to be used by volunteers throughout the workday.
- CLT will provide disposable masks for those who do not have their own.
After registration, you will be signed up to receive an email two days prior to the event. This will give you detailed driving instructions, a weather forecast, and inform you of things you may need to bring to the event. Hope to see you there!